The easiest way to enjoy the natural sweetness and health benefits of blueberries is to just eat them by the handful. But almost as simple is this quick blueberry sauce that you can then use in everything! Make some at the beginning of the week and keep it in the fridge to sweeten up breakfast, snack time, desserts, dinner and even your drinks.
The sauce is so simple it barely needs a recipe: Put 2 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen) in a medium saucepan along with 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of water, and cook over a medium heat until the berries are soft. Then chill in the refrigerator. That’s it! In fact, if your berries are very sweet (or you’re just cutting back on added sugar), you can even skip the sugar.
Now that you have your sauce, here’s how you can use it!
- Drizzle it over ice cream or frozen yoghurt for a healthy, fruity dessert.
- Stir into plain yoghurt for a fruit yoghurt without fillers and preservatives.
- Serve the sauce over pancakes.
- Add it to your morning oatmeal.
- Dress up a plain store-bought cheesecake.
- Cook it down a bit further and use it as a spread on your morning toast.
- Mix with some ketchup and a little chipotle sauce for a quick barbecue sauce.
- Mix with extra lemon juice and olive oil for a fruity spinach salad dressing.
- Stir in a little salt and apple cider vinegar and serve as a chutney with pork chops.
- Puree and strain the sauce to make into a syrup to add to sparkling water for a homemade soda.
Once you have this sitting in the fridge, you’ll probably come up with even more ways to use it! For more easy ways to use blueberries, check out the Recipes section of our website.