Blueberry Bacon Cornmeal Waffles
8 - 10 waffles
- 1 cup (170 g) cornmeal
- ¾ cup (100 g) all-purpose unbleached flour
- ⅓ cup (50 g) corn starch
- 3 Tbsp (30 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 ml) salt
- 2 large (100 g) eggs
- 1¾ cups (415 ml) buttermilk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) salted butter, melted
- 2 cups (300 g) B.C. blueberries, fresh or frozen - divided
- ½ cup (50 g) bacon, cooked and diced (approximately 6 slices)
- Preheat waffle iron to a medium heat (350°F/176°C).
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs and buttermilk, then mix egg mixture into the dry mixture.
- Stir in the melted butter then fold in 1 cup of blueberries and the bacon.
- Brush the hot waffle iron with oil or butter, ladle batter into each mould until ¾ full. Close lid and cook according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Top with remaining blueberries and maple syrup.