Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- 1½ cups (225g) B.C. blueberries, fresh or unthawed frozen - divided
- 1½ cups (200 g) Wholegrain spelt or wheat flour, plus 1 tsp
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Wheat bran
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Flax seeds, ground
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Salt
- ¼ cup (50 g) Unrefined raw sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (100 g) Large eggs
- ¾ cup (175 ml) Plain Greek yogurt, non-fat
- ¾ cup (175 ml) Banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Orange zest, finely grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Orange juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (20 g) Pumpkin seeds, unsalted
- 1 tbsp (10 g) Hemp hearts
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/160°C with rack positioned in the centre. Grease a large non-stick muffin pan and line with baking cups.
- In a bowl, toss 1 tsp of flour with 1 cup of the blueberries, set aside the remaining ½ cup of blueberries for the topping. Do not thaw if using frozen.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, wheat bran, flax, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, then set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the sugar and oil, then the eggs one at a time. Whisk in the yogurt, banana, orange zest, juice and vanilla.
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture in three intervals. Fold in the 1 cup of floured blueberries. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts, then top with the remaining blueberries.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350°F/ 160°C for 24-28 minutes until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.