Blueberry Banana Bread
- 1½ cups (225 g) BC blueberries, fresh or frozen-divided (do not thaw if using frozen)
- 1½ cups (195 g) All purpose unbleached flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Cinnamon
- ½ cup (115 g) Salted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (100 g) Granulated sugar
- 1 large (50 g) Egg
- 1½ cups (250 g) Ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) Yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Vanilla extract
Blueberry Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup (35 g) Pecans, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Coarse, raw sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) All purpose unbleached flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Salted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C with rack positioned in the centre. Grease a 9” x 5” loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, toss 1 tsp of flour with the blueberries and set aside. Do not thaw if using frozen.
- Prepare the streusel topping by combining the pecans, sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a fork until you have a crumbly size mixture. Gently fold in half the blueberries and refrigerate.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- In another large bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Mix in the bananas, yogurt and vanilla.
- Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Fold in the other half the blueberries and pour into the prepared loaf pan. Top with the blueberry streusel.
- Bake for 65-70 minutes until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting on a wire rack to cool.