Blueberry Chai Spice Rice Pudding
4 x 1 cup portions
- ½ cup (100 g) Medium or short grain rice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Coconut oil or salted butter
- 2 cups (480 ml) Water
- 1 can (400 ml) Coconut milk
- ⅓ cup (65 g) Granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Fresh ginger, grated (or ½ tsp dry)
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Cinnamon powder
- 3 Green cardamom pods
- 1 Star anise pod
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Ground coriander seed
- ½ tsp (pinch) Salt
- 1½ cups (225g) BC Blueberries, fresh or thawed frozen, divided
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Fresh orange or mango juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (35 g) Fresh mango, diced
- 2 Tbsp (15 g) Toasted coconut ribbons
- In a saucepan on a medium high heat, melt the coconut oil. Add rice and cook for a few minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the water, coconut milk, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, coriander and salt. Bring to a boil, and cook for around 20 minutes, stirring frequently – until it has become very bubbly and thick. Reduce heat and stir constantly as the pudding thickens further and rice becomes cooked through – around another 5 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove from heat and remove cardamom pods and star anise. Add 1 cup of the blueberries, fresh orange juice and vanilla extract and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold topped with the remaining blueberries, mango and toasted coconut, if desired.