Blueberry Galette with Almond Crust
Yields 2 x 12” galettes
- 1¼ cups (185 g) All-purpose unbleached flour, plus ¼ cup for rolling
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Salt
- ½ cup (125 g) Unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Ice water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Vinegar
- 4 cups (600 g) B.C. blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ⅓ cup (60 g) Granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (20 g) All-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Lemon zest, finely grated
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (10 ml) Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (30 g) Unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 large (15 g) Egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Milk
- ½ cup (50 g) Sliced almonds
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the cold butter until you have a coarse, crumbly pea-size mixture. Alternatively, pulse in a food processor.
- Sprinkle the vinegar and ice water into mixture a tablespoon at a time. Finish mixing dough with hands to until it just comes together; do not over mix.
- Form into two discs, wrap well in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F /205°C with rack positioned in the centre. Line a large baking sheet (or two small) with parchment paper.
- Mix the blueberries (do not thaw if using frozen), sugar, flour, lemon and cinnamon together in a separate bowl. Cube 2 tbsp of cold butter and set aside.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking the egg and milk.
- Remove dough from refrigerator 15 minutes before rolling. Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a rough circle measuring about 1/8” thick and 12” in diameter.
- Transfer dough to the lined baking sheet, fill each with blueberry mixture leaving 3” around the edge and dot with cubes of butter.
- Fold and overlap the edges of the dough, leaving a 4” opening in the middle.
- Brush the dough with egg wash.
- Scatter the sliced almonds on the dough and lightly press in.
- Bake in the middle rack of the pre-heated oven for 40-55 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
- Allow to rest at room temperature. Serve with ice cream.