Blueberry Jam Almond Bars
- 3 cups (450 g) B.C. Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup (160 g) Sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Orange zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Orange juice
- ¾ cup (180 g) Salted butter, softened
- 1 cup (150 g) Brown sugar
- 1 cup (150 g) Whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups (150 g) Old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup (125 g) Ground almonds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Baking powder
- Position oven rack in the centre and pre-heat to 350°F/175°C.
- In a saucepan, bring the blueberries, sugar, orange zest and orange juice to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently for 15-20 minutes until reduced by almost half. Set aside to cool completely.
- Lightly grease a 9" x 9” baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar for a minute until fluffy.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, oats, almonds, cinnamon and baking powder.
- In three intervals, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and mix with a spoon until crumbly.
- Press ¾ of the crumb mixture to the bottom of the lined pan and pour the cooled blueberry jam over top. Sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture and press down lightly.
- Bake for 37-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool at room temperature, then refrigerate until cold and cut 3” into bars.