Classic Blueberry Lemon Tea Loaf
- 1.5 cups (200 g) All purpose unbleached flour
- 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml) Baking powder
- 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml) Baking soda
- ¼ tsp (pinch) Salt
- 1.75 cups (275 g) B.C. blueberries- fresh or frozen, divided in half (mix 1 tbsp of the flour mixture in with the blueberries)
- 3/4 cup (150 g) White sugar
- ½ cup (120 g) Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 (100 g) Large eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup (120 ml) 14% Sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Lemon juice - fresh (*approximately the zest and juice of 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/ 160°C
- Butter a 9” x 5” x 2.5” non-stick loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
- Mix 1 tbsp of the flour mixture in with the blueberries until coated, set aside. (If the blueberries are too dry to coat, then add ½ tsp. of lemon juice so the flour adheres to them.) *This is to stop the blueberries from sinking to bottom of loaf.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 1 minute.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time.
- On low speed, alternately mix in the flour mixture, sour cream, lemon zest and juice in three intervals.
- Gently fold in half the amount of blueberries.
- Pour into the greased loaf pan.
- Top with the remaining blueberries.
- Bake in the middle rack of a pre-heated 350°F/160°C oven for 45-55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the loaf pan for a minimum of 30 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack.