Lamb Blueberry Rogan Josh by Chef Gurj Dhaliwal
4 - 6 Main Course Portions
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Fennel Seeds
- 5 Whole Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Green Cardamom Pods
- 2 cups (300 g) Yellow Onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp (30 g) Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsp (30 g) Ginger, chopped
- 4 Fresh Red Chillies, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Paprika
- 2 ½ lbs (1.2 kg) Boneless Lamb Shoulder or Lamb Leg cut into large ¾”cubes
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Salt
- 1 ½ cups (325 g) Fresh or Frozen B.C. Blueberries
- 1 cup (250 g) Canned Diced Tomatoes, drained with no tomato juice
- ½ cup (125 ml) Water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Fresh Mint, chopped
- Place a large wide flat-bottom pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp (15ml) of oil and preheat for 2 minutes, then add coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Toast all spices in oil for 3 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high, add in the chopped onions and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in garlic, ginger, chili, garam masala, paprika and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine the turmeric, black pepper, cubed lamb and remaining 1 tbsp. (15ml) of oil.
- Add the lamb into the onion spice mixture and stir to coat in all spices. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in blueberries, canned tomatoes, salt, and water. Cover with lid, reduce the heat to medium low and cook the lamb for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook over medium low heat for 45 minutes until the lamb is tender and the sauce is thick.
- Garnish with fresh chopped mint and serve with yogurt.