Savoury Blueberry Cornbread
1 x 10” cake
- 1 cup (150 g) B.C blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp (5 ml) All purpose unbleached flour
- 1 cup (165 g) Corn meal, medium grind
- 1 cup (130 g) All purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Baking powder
- ½ tsp (5 ml) Salt
- 1 tsp (10 ml) Paprika, mild or hot
- 1 tsp (10 ml) Fresh rosemary, finely minced or ½ tsp dry
- ½ tsp (5 ml) Garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Black pepper
- ½ cup (125 g) Butter, softened
- 3 tbsp (30 g) Sugar
- 3 Large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (240 ml) Buttermilk
- 3 tbsp (25 g) Parmesan cheese, dry & finely-grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Grape seed oil
- In a bowl toss 1 tsp of flour with blueberries to coat and set aside.
- Light one side of the barbecue and pre-heat to 350°F/175°C. Using the indirect grilling method, heat a dry cast iron pan on the unlit side of the grill.
- In a small bowl combine the all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Fold in the buttermilk and cornmeal mixture alternately in three intervals until blended. Fold in the floured blueberries and Parmesan cheese.
- Warm the butter and oil in the hot pan until sizzling. (Be careful of the hot handle.) Pour cornbread mixture in the hot, buttered pan and spread evenly.
- Leaving pan on side of barbecue that is unlit, then close the lid and bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Alternatively, bake in middle rack of pre-heated 350°F/175°C oven in buttered cast iron pan or a loaf pan for 35 - 40 mins.