Salads & Appetizers
Blueberry Goat Cheese Sweet Chili Phyllo Cups
Yields 24 mini phyllo cups
- 2 cups (225g) Yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) Salt
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) Pepper
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Apple cider vinegar
- 1 large (50g) Egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Honey
- 2 tsp (10ml) Lime Zest, freshly grated
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp (10ml) Sambal Oelek or crushed chili paste
- 1 cup (150g) B.C. Blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw if using frozen)
- ⅓ cup (65g) Soft goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup (35g) Sliced almonds, chopped
- 2 tbsp (10g) Fresh basil, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup (80ml) Butter, melted
- 4 sheets Phyllo pastry (18” x 13” sheets), thawed
- In a pan sauté onions with oil and salt and pepper for a few minutes. Add vinegar, reduce heat and slowly caramelize the onions for 20-25 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Position oven rack in the centre and pre-heat oven to 350°F/176°C.
- Brush a mini muffin pan with melted butter.
- Lay a stack of four 18” x 13” sheets of thawed phyllo pastry on a clean surface. Lightly brush each layer with melted butter. Cut into 24 squares. Press each square in the pan.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and mix the onions, honey, lime zest, lime juice and Sambal Oelek. Fold in the blueberries and goat cheese.
- Equally distribute mixture into cups and top with almonds.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden. Remove from pan and top with fresh basil. Best served immediately or at room temperature. Do not refrigerate to retain crispiness.
Make these in a regular sized muffin pan (or larger) for an elegant starter course, served with salad.