Salads & Appetizers
Savoury Blueberry Stuffing
6 - 8 servings
- ½ cup (120 g) Salted butter
- 1 cup (150 g) Onion, chopped
- 1 cup (150 g) Celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup (115 g) Leek, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Black pepper
- 12 cups (600 g) Sourdough bread, cut into ½” cubes and lightly oven-toasted
- 1 cup (150 g) B.C. blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup (50 g) Dried blueberries
- 1 cup (130 g) Apple, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Fresh sage, finely chopped or 1 tsp dry
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Fresh thyme, finely chopped, or 1 tsp dry
- 1 cup (240 ml) Chicken or turkey stock
- ½ cup (65 g) Hazelnuts, chopped - optional
- Pre-heat oven to 300°F/150°C with rack positioned on the bottom. Butter a 9” x 12” baking dish and set aside.
- In a small pan, melt butter over low heat, then add onion, celery, leek, salt and pepper. Sauté until tender.
- In a large bowl, mix the bread, both types of blueberries, apple, sage and thyme. Add the sautéed onions, celery and leek to the bread mixture and combine.
- Transfer mix to the baking dish and press down to compact it. Pour the stock over the mixture just before baking. Top with hazelnuts if desired.
- Bake uncovered on the bottom rack of the oven at 300°F/150°C for 70-80 minutes until golden brown.
- Stuffing mixture can also be stuffed into a turkey and baked in the oven until internal temperature reaches 185°F/85°C.