Asian-Style Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Sesame oil
- ¼ cup (40 g) Shallot or white onion - minced
- 2 tbsp (20 g) Ginger – fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp (10 g) Garlic – fresh, minced (approximately 4 cloves)
- 3 cups (450 g) B.C. blueberries - fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) Honey
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp 30 ml Lime juice - fresh
- In a medium sized sauce pan. Sauté the shallot, ginger and garlic in the sesame oil over a low heat until translucent, about 8-12 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients except the lime juice. Bring to a boil, then continue to simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until mixture is thickened and reduced, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and cool mixture.
- Puree in a blender until smooth.