Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (40 g) Shallot or white onion, finely minced
- 1 tbsp (10 g) Fresh garlic (approx. 3 cloves), minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Salt
- 3 cups (450 g) B.C. blueberries - fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup (135 g) Brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (120 ml) Tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Hot chili flakes or powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Lemon juice-fresh
- In a large sauce pan, sauté the shallot and garlic in the vegetable oil over a low heat, until golden brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients except the lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then continue to simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until mixture is thickened and reduced, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Add in the lemon juice and cool mixture.
- Puree in a blender until smooth.