Homemade Blueberry Freezer Jam
- 6.5 cups Fresh blueberries
- 1 pack (1.75 oz) Granulated fruit pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 4.5 cups Sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp Ground ginger or 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind, optional
- Place whole blueberries in a food processor container; pulse until coarsely chopped. Or, place blueberries in a bowl; crush with a potato masher or pastry blender.
- In a large saucepan, combine blueberries and ½ cup water. In a small bowl, stir together pectin and ¼ cup of the sugar. Stir pectin mixture into blueberries.
- Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring mixture to a rolling boil. Add the remaining 4 ¼ cups sugar all at once; return to a rolling boil. Boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; skim off any foam; set aside until cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to 1-cup freezer containers, filling to about ½ inch from the top; continue to cool at room temperature until jam has set; cover and freeze.
- Thaw to serve; store any leftover jam in the refrigerator for up to one month.