Savoury Apple Blueberry Compote
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add apples and onion; cover and cook, stirring frequently, until apples are almost tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, sugar, salt and pepper; stir in 2/3 cup water. Stir water mixture and 1/2 cup of the blueberries into the apples; cook, stirring gently, until thickened and sauce begins to color, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup of blueberries. Serve with sliced pork or ham, chicken, turkey or game.