The BC Blueberry Council works tirelessly to increase BC blueberries’ market share abroad, especially in some of our key markets of interest (e.g. Japan, China, India, Vietnam). The Council works closely with our government officials and locals on the ground to maximize opportunities.
The road to expanding markets has been challenging for BC blueberries. The mere production of blueberries is increasing at an exponential rate globally, with higher rates each year. The higher the volume of blueberries in the market, the greater the competition.
Moreover, protectionist rhetoric, lack of universal standards on Maximum Residue Levels, and tariffs are big hurdles for our industry to cross. With growth, there are pains and opportunities. The Council is steadfast in making sure our growers' interests remain at the forefront of any trade deal negotiated by our government.
There has been no better time to take it up a notch in producing the best blueberries. Consumers are looking for the ‘best product at a good price’ and BC can deliver!
Please see below for an overview of our promotional activities abroad:
From December 9-10th, 2020 we held our first-ever virtual Field Day and AGM to great success. During this event, we featured the profiles of our international partners in fun and interactive videos. Please click here to view these exciting introductions.
- Our team in China is promoting blueberries across Hong Kong and Mainland China social media and news sites.
- We are soon launching collaborations with popular food and lifestyle influencers in China.
- Our Japan team Witan Associates paired up with food designer Izumi Suga, who created Japanese-Canadian fusion recipes featuring BC blueberries (frozen). Please see the BC Blueberries Japan webpage here.
- We are registered for the upcoming FoodEx in Tokyo, Japan from March 9th-12th, 2021. Our representatives will attend if it is safe to do so.
- We teamed up with our South Korea reps to conduct B2C promotional campaigns at two popular bakery chains, Holly’s Bakery and KissRing. A blueberry bread and blueberry cake were launched in Fall 2020, in October and December, respectively.
- We are excited to celebrate the 0% tariff rate for frozen blueberries into South Korea for 2021. Stay tuned for updates on promotional campaigns.
- Our representatives from Latitude New Zealand will promote blueberries at local trade shows and on social media (in partnership with local influencers).