Blueberry Almond Crepes
- 1 container (16 ounces) cottage cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 18 crepes (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced natural almonds
1. To prepare filling: In a blender container, place cottage cheese, egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar and orange peel; whirl until well combined. Add chopped almonds; whirl until smooth; set aside.
2. To prepare blueberry sauce: In a saucepan combine the remaining ½ cup sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in orange juice and blueberries. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened and clear, about 1 minute.
3. To assemble: Place 2 rounded tablespoons of filling on each crepe. Roll and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. At serving time: Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake filled crepes until hot, about 15 minutes. Top with blueberry sauce, sprinkle with toasted almonds and, if desired, a dollop of sour cream.
TO PREPARE CREPES: In a blender container, place 4 eggs, 1 cup each flour and milk, 1-tablespoon light brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon almond extract. Whirl until smooth. Spray crepe pan with non-stick cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Add about 3 tablespoons batter to pan, tilting to make an even layer. Cook on one side until crepe begins to brown, about 1 minute. Place on a sheet of waxed paper, browned side up. Repeat with remaining batter; layering the crepes with waxed paper.