Baked Blueberry Meringue Rice Pudding
- 4 quarts (4 litres) whole milk
- 5 1/2 cups (1 kg) long grain rice
- 1 cup (200 gm) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (180 gm) dried cranberries or currants
- 1 cup (225 gm) unsalted butter
- 4 tsp (8 gm) ground cinnamon
- 4 tsp (8 gm) ground nutmeg
- 20 large (900 gm) eggs seperated, room temperature
- 8 cups (2 litres) light cream / half & half
- 16 cups (2.75 kg) BC blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup (100 gm) granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp (40 gm) grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp (2 gm) cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups (300 gm) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (100 gm) sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Combine milk, rice, 1 cup of sugar, dried cranberries, butter and spices in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over low heat until rice is very tender, stirring often, about 30 minutes.
Butter 4 13x9x2" baking pans. Whisk egg yolks and crean together, stir into the rice. Pour into the prepared pans, dividing equally. In a large bowl, mix the blueberries, 1/2 cup of sugar and the lemon peel. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the top of the rice. Bake until set (50 -60 minutes) checking after 45 minutes. If the blueberries are frozen it may take longer. Remove from oven.
Increase oven temperature to 400F/ 200C.
Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 4 tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form. Spoon over the rice pudding, spreading to the edges and swirl into peaks. Sprinkle with almond slices. Bake until meringue is golden, 10 - 12 minutes.